Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Festive Food That Won't Break the (Calorie) Bank

'Tis the season to party! I hate going to a party empty handed but this time of year, I also need to know there will be something there I can eat without guilt!  I saw this cute idea and decided to test it out for the teacher's luncheon at Tinker's school today.  Here is the result:

This was so simple.  Ingredients:
2 heads of broccoli
1 head of cauliflower
1 yellow bell pepper
 A few grape tomatoes
Neufchatel cheese (4 oz)
A few pieces of spaghetti

Cut the broccoli and cauliflower off the stalks.  Save a fat broccoli stalk for the trunk.

Slice the pepper thinly, saving a part to cut out a star.

Arrange your broccoli first.  Then cut a slice of stalk for the trunk. I used Neufchatel cheese to stick the broccoli and cauliflower to the tray. Now arrange your pepper slices. (Next time I will cut them as rounds before cutting them in half to allow more creative control!)

Break spaghetti into pieces to use as toothpicks to get the tomatoes and star to stay where you want them.

Simple huh?  The whole project took about 20 minutes and the teachers were so appreciative.

No comments: