Saturday, January 8, 2011

Jello cups and other interesting tidbits

Sometimes an idea is so weirdly cool, it just might make it to market.  Take Jello Cups, for instance.  I am not as environmentally conscious as I think I "should" be, but even so, I have a once-a-year limit on those disposable plastic cups.  They are so ridiculously unfriendly to the ecosystem.  Now a design team in New York has come up with a solution -- jello cups.  They are just what they sound like:  disposable, biodegradable and edible.  Weird and wonderful.

Now in the "common sense" department, why is fiber such a big deal?  Simple.  Because we don't eat enough whole foods, especially whole grains, vegetables (not necessarily raw) and legumes.  If you choose whole grains most--or even much--of the time, you will eat plenty of fiber.  It's a double-edged sword and I mean that in a useful, swashbuckling way.  (If I'm yeilding a sword, I'll take it double-edged, please).  If you concentrate on eating more fiber, you will also be getting in a good dose of whole grains, fruits and veggies and legumes.  But in case you don't believe me, here's a little scientific evidence for you!

Finally, here is some "food for thought" I've been noodling for a while:  Is obesity endemic in our society?  And, if so, should we then be treating the entire population?  I'd love to hear what you think about this topic, as it is sure to be political fodder at some point. 

Now a little update on me.  I actually gained a little weight over the holidays, so I have made a gut-wrenching (pardon the pun) decision to buckle down in a serious way and truly commit to getting off the last half of my excess weight.  More to come.

No comments: