Friday, August 3, 2012

An Apple a Day - Friday Tips, Tricks and Inspiration

I have neglected this blog lately; the reason is simple -- I had a big "no" in my head to the whole weight loss process.  I am still losing weight-- down 17 pounds in the last few months -- but occasionally I have a little tantrum about it.  You see, my belief is that I should lose 2 or 3 pounds a week and I don't like it when it's a half a pound a week.  Isn't that ridiculous?  It's so sneaky though -- I don't even notice I'm thinking it right away.  Now I've awakened and it is what it is; I'm staying the course until I get there!

Now for the news.  Some years ago, a study discovered an apple a day really is good for your health, especially your heart.  Now it looks like 2 apples is even better, especially if you're a woman.  My kids eat an apple a day; I guess I will start following their excellent example!  Your Friday tip is to make sure you are getting those 5 or more servings of fruit and veggies every day because I'm betting similar research on another fruit or vegetable would yield similar results!


Your trick of the day is to clean up your environment to protect your weight loss efforts.  FYI, that now might extend to avoiding food ads both in print and on TV.  If you look at photos of food it actually make does make you hungry.  Ghrelin is the hunger stimulating hormone.  A recent study confirms what we already guessed:  Ghrelin levels increase simply by seeing the foods and then you can no longer rely on your body signals!  Will power is the worst way to control weight, so definitely we can benefit by controlling our environment!


Now for your inspiration, I bring you London 2012!  Whenever I start thinking I'm not up to my little 300 calorie burn for the day, I just spend a few minutes watching the athletes who train 8 hours (or more) each and every day in order to be the world's best for a little while.  The dedication and discipline of this group of athletes is truly inspiring.

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: