Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Support

A few days ago, I had a meet-up at the Y with a friend I met on-line through my favorite weight-loss website, SparkPeople.  I have been "on" the site for over 3 years, and she is my very first "Spark Friend" I've met in person.

We didn't spend a lot of time gabbing; instead, we headed straight for the Cardio Theater and a 40 minute stint on the elliptical machines.  I am amazed at what a difference it made to have Sarah there; I really wanted to work harder and it all seemed less painful somehow!  We will be meeting up again!

This experience reminded me that support really is important. Finding ways to look forward to exercise, or to get myself there even if I think I don't want to helps.  Having friends who are working toward similar goals is uniting. Knowing I am not alone keeps me motivated.

After a busy summer of traveling and softball mom-ing, I am ready to get back to the school of fitness.  The support I have lined up for myself is this:
  • Text my friend Colleen every day when I get to the gym (or later if it's not a gym day)
  • I will send my regular support partner, Will, my ACE fitness plan model by next week so he can help me stay accountable
  • Get together with Sarah at least once a week if she's willing
  • Enjoy that walk to and from school with my little ones; they think fitness is just part of life!
  • Encourage my girls in making their own fitness plans so we can encourage each other
  • Talk to dear hubby about each of our exercise and rehab goals
What support systems are helping you reach your goals?


No comments: