Monday, October 24, 2011

Hopping off the Crazy Maker

Do you know what drives me crazy?

People who give me unsolicited weight loss advice like, "Just cut back on starchy foods" or "You probably aren't getting enough exercise," or my all time favorite, "It's just calories in, calories out."

Duh.

Come on people, I am a weight-loss expert!!   I have devoted years of my life to the study of weight loss:  What helps, what hurts, what can get in the way.  Am I getting enough sleep?  How's my balance of carbs to protien?  What role does blood sugar play?  How much exercise is "enough?"  What can I do to speed up my metabolism?  Etc., etc., etc. 

If it were simple, we'd all be skinny.  I know this because I was skinny most of my life and I did not earn it.  It came naturally to me then as apparently, being fat now comes naturally.  I know there are skinny people out there who work at it every day, but I have to say, their numbers are few. 

I would like to set the record straight on this one thing:  I think you'd be hard pressed to find many adults who consistently eat as healthfully as I do.  I am a very healthy eater.  And I get a lot of exercise, usually far more than my recommended 30 minutes per day.  And aside from that, I am about ten times healthier than I ever was when I was skinny.  I joke that when I was a skinny single girl, I lived on Frosted Flakes and Blue Bell Ice Cream.  And it is not that far from the truth. 

I know people just mean well.  I do know that.  And I am truly grateful that people care about my well being.  But if you really want to help me, please come over and go for a walk with me, or watch my kids while I swim, or come to my house for supper instead of suggesting a restaurant.  Because I am not going to be trying your Paleo diet or your Eat Clean diet or your Dukan diet.  I am going to stick to my regimen of healthy foods and exercise and I am going to trust that if I keep fighting, I will eventually prevail. 

(By the way, if you are newer to this process than I am and you would like to know about the considerable research on any of these points, give me a shout!)

No comments: