Last year my internist told me that you can't account for metabolism. You just have to keep trying until you hit the combination that works. After a full year of unintentional maintenance, I am here to say I haven't found it.
18 months ago, I lost 40 pounds on medically supervised weight loss. I stopped that program when we got the "Littles" because it just didn't work, timewise. It was daytime only and no kids allowed. Since then I have "found" 10 of those pounds then plateued at a 30 pound loss and never moved. It can get frustrating.
I had several weeks in a row recently of staying well within my calorie range. One week I lost 0.4, the next I gained 0.6. Last week, I was within my calories for the week but what I ate contained some "poor choices" like ice cream. I also forgot to take my thyroid medicine three times. Gained 1.6.
I realize it probably sounds like I'm whining. I'm not. I am saying all this to remind myself (and you) that sometimes, it just isn't that straightforward. Yet, there are still things I can (and will) do.
- I will bump my exercise up. I have been doing just enough to help my exercise challenge team.
- I'll take my medicine every day (duh).
- I will make sure I get in all my water and maybe a little extra.
- I will take stock of my spiritual affairs because no matter the numbers, I am convinced my emotions affect metabolism.
- I'll start getting 8 hours of sleep again because I know that affects weight.